Saturday, August 21, 2010

Interview with Amelia Warner and Ringan Ledwidge (star and director of Gone) - February 27th, 2007

Promoting: Gone
Venue: Soho House
Interview type (one-on-two)


Question(Q): Where did the idea come from? Was it based on any of your own nightmare backpacking experiences?

Ringan Ledwidge (RL): Well, the script was something that Working Title brought to me, so it didn’t originate with me, but funnily enough, I have had a slightly sort of obsessive American lock onto me when I’ve been travelling before and had to leave under cover of darkness one morning to shake him, only to bump into him again two months later with another group that he’d locked onto. So, yeah, I know those guys that you just cannot get rid of and part of that fed into the script.

Amelia Warner (AW): I haven’t actually had any back-packing experiences, I need to get out there and do it. I kind of missed the gap where all my friends kind of did it. I’m going to try and do it soon, so maybe I’ll get some horrible stories then.

Q: How did you get involved in the film?

AW: I just read the script and liked it and went in and auditioned. Several times.

RL: Ha ha! Poor Amelia. I did have her sort of coming back and repeatedly doing the rather more extreme moments in the film, round the table, pretending the room was the Outback.

Q: The film’s a fairly intensive three-hander, was that at all reflected in terms of your off-screen relationships with Shaun and Scott?

AW: Yeah, I think it was, in that Shaun and I rehearsed with Ringan in London before we went out there. We had two weeks of unconventional rehearsals, you know, going to art galleries, sitting in a park, swapping music, that sort of thing. So when we went out to Australia there was definitely a friendship there already and I think Scott deliberately kept his distance a bit. Also, being English, there’s all that weird kind of stuff, so that definitely played in real life, I mean that was just our dynamic. Obviously there was the occasional moment of tension because it was just the three of us and it was so claustrophobic at times.

[At this point a mouse runs out from behind the skirting board in Soho House]

AW: MOUSE!

RL: That’s odd. This is really high up for a mouse.

AW: That’s so weird. I have mice in my flat and I swear they’re following me around London.

Q: What are your next projects?

AW: I’m working on something called The Dark is Rising in Romania. It’s a series of books about a little boy in an English town who gets magical powers. It’s directed by David Cunningham and co-stars Christopher Eccleston and Ian McShane and, er, some kids.

RL: I’ve just finished a screenplay about a guy in a tollbooth and this vast accident happens right in front of him and brings a new person into his life. So hopefully that’s what I’ll be moving onto next year.

Note: I've posted several notes for this interview in the comments section below. They're basically questions that I didn't end up typing out for the interview.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:53 PM , Blogger FilmFan said...

Interview notes for Amelia Warner and Ringan Ledwidge

Wolf Creek – hasn’t seen it – had heard about it, wondered whether film would go ahead when it came out – A hasn’t seen it either

03.19 – Involved in film – I just read the script and liked it and went in and auditioned a few times; RL – I did have her sort of coming back and doing the rather more extreme moments in the film, round the table, the whole last 20 minutes of the film, round the table;

04.06 – Who was cast first? Amelia was cast first, then we found Shaun Evans and last but not least we found Scott

04:31 – The film’s a fairly intensive three-hander, was that at all reflected in terms of your off-screen relationships with Shaun and Scott? A: Yeah, I think it was, in terms of me and Shaun rehearsed with Ringan in London before we went out there. We had two weeks of not conventional rehearsals, you know, going to art galleries, sitting in a park, swapping music, that sort of thing. So when we went out to Australia there was definitely a friendship there already and I think Scott deliberately kept his distance a bit. Also, being English, there’s all that weird kind of stuff, so that definitely played in real life, I mean that was just our dynamic. There was the occasional moment of tension because it was just the three of us and it was so claustrophobic.

06.37 – I saw Scott in Mean Creek and thought he was great. The casting for the American guys was actually a real challenge. In UK, you get anyone who’s any good. Agents, managers, etc. Shaun, funnily, seen Being Julia, thought he was American. Really keen to get someone regional. Wanted him to have an accent. And he was a Scouse. As soon as Shaun came in it was like BANG.

08.14 – Looks like Paul Nicholas. Do a remake of Just Good Friends.

08.34 – Was Taylor always a killer? Had he killed before? Certain amount of sympathy for the character? 15 page backstory for Taylor. Done bad things but not been to that place before. Sees Sophie as some form of redemption. Sympathy for character came from actor or the script? Bit of both (09.56) Coming from a real place, been hurt before. Need to want to be loved, obsessively so, causes him to react in volatile way.

10.33 – Justification for sex scene? Before we went away, scene was gone from script. I really felt it should be back in. It was really hard to justify, but I just think it made the last ten minutes a lot more, just raised the stakes a lot in terms of being that intimate and making that decision to trust him or whatever. Made it even more horrible and awful. And also, she makes a mistake, but it’s one of those things that happened and I didn’t want her to be perfect, I wanted to reflect that people do make mistakes. I want characters to have light and shade. She would have been a bit more one-dimensional otherwise. And she has been with Alex for ages and maybe there was an attraction there?

13.47 – Next projects?

AW – I’m working on something called The Dark is Rising in Romania. It’s a series of books about a little boy in an English town who gets magical powers. It’s directed by David Cunningham and co-stars Christopher Eccleston and Ian McShane and some kids.

RL: I’ve just finished a screenplay about a guy in a tollbooth and this vast accident happens right in front of him and brings a new person into his life. So hopefully that’s what I’ll be moving onto next year.

15.40 - Big film fans? Yeah, I go through phases. See lots and then just don’t want to see any, even DVDs. Very short attention span. Last thing you really liked? Pan’s Labyrinth. RL: Love films but at least try and go once a week if I can. Do a double or a treble in one session, just to catch up. Watch a lot of DVDs. Quite happy to watch 20 mins of favourites. Lives of Others.

17.20 – Sci-Fi – favourite sci-fi film? Blade Runner. The world that’s created within it, the music, everything. RL: 2001, Dad took me to see it when I was six and I didn’t speak for six days. AW – probably about 12 when I first saw it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home